[I]’m chelating for heavy metals but I am really smitten with methylation and want to share some stunning assertions Freddd makes on Phoenix rising – I’ve bolded what I found most eye-catching for me:
WHAT ARE REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS? – The good, the bad and the ugly
ALL of these can happen if the necessary cofactors are also present. Until they are, symptoms may remain relatively unchanged. Changes will often be detected as starting within the first few doses of a newly added cofactor if that is a key cofactor. However, they may not start until the last necessary cofactor is present. That does not mean the previously started ones are not necessary. For some specific thing to heal may take 1000 steps. On 999 of those steps it is still not healed. Only after the final step will a specific thing be healed. There are many dependencies. Some symptoms may require changes in neurological functioning, biochemical functioning, mitochondrial functioning, epithelial healing, endothelial healing and neurological healing, both peripheral and central. This can start in minutes and finish in years. Active b12s are immediately active. There is no significant time required for it to work its way through a series of biochemical keyholes. There is no way to assure that any specific improvement may occur in any specific person. A return of sexual functionality for instance, may occur over months to years. There is no big signal saying “I’m back”. It may return as gradually as it went away. Without challenging the functionality one would never know it has returned. Most, but not all, of the symptoms on the list can correct partly to fully with both active b12s and cofactors.
- Active b12s will do everything that inactive cobalamins are proven to do for Pernicious Anemia and anything else.
- Active b12s put approximately 100 to 10,000 times as much active b12, 99+% unbound, into the serum as do inactive cobalamins. This causes a much faster diffusion into the tissues needing them and much faster response. As these are unbound b12s they are excreted more quickly and must be renewed daily for continued high level benefit. At least as much b12 will be bound depending upon biological limits. Three days without methylb12 and many people will begin to have return of symptoms. Three weeks without adenosylb12 and many people will start seeing some return of those symptoms.
- Active b12s produce much quicker results, often starting within 10 minutes for some kinds of symptoms.
- With active b12s mitochondria can start putting out more energy in 10 minutes.
- With active b12s neurological functioning can start changing in under 1 hour.
- With active b12s, hallucinations, if caused by deficiency, can diminish or disappear within hours.
- With active b12 moods can be affected, often starting within one hour.
- Muscle pains can start diminishing within days.
- Burning muscle pain can be gone in 10 days.
- Muscle spasms and knots can start diminishing within weeks.
- Muscles can become normal starting within weeks.
- Muscles can gain exercise tolerance, at the diminished level at which they are starting out within weeks and can grow and heal in response to exercise normally thereafter. Reasonable exercise is a must to stimulate healing of muscles and restoration of exercise capacity. One half to one percent a day increase appears to be a rate most can tolerate. One percent a day for a year is 37x increase. ½ percent a day for a year is 6x increase. This can apply to weight lifted or feet walked or minutes on the Nordic Track.
- Sores at corners of mouth can be gone within weeks.
- Irregular heartbeats, palpitations, tachycardia, may become pivot point symptom helping you home in on missing factors. For me it was B-Right twice a day AND 50mg of zinc daily after most other things were in place.
- Dermatitis and other skin problems can start normalizing over weeks to months.
- Red burning tongue can be normal within weeks.
- Burning mouth can be normal within weeks.
- Teeth hypersensitive to hot and cold can tend towards normal in months.
- Multiple chemical sensitivity can diminish over weeks to years.
- Allergies and asthma can diminish over months to years.
- Hair can return to neuropathic slick legs over months, usually finer and not as much, but some return.
- Chronic and acute headaches can diminish and disappear over months to years
- Sleep disorders can diminish and disappear of weeks to months, dependent upon all necessary cofactors
- Sexual dysfunctions of a number of causes may correct over a period of time.
- Abnormal cells on PAP smear may return to normal in future on new tests.
- Coarsened skin texture and dark coarse hair in some neuropathic skin areas can return to normal over months to years
- Inability to focus eyes can disappear in days.
- Vertigo can disappear within days to years
- Ability to balance on one foot may return in months to years.
- Burning bladder can be gone within weeks
- Brainfog can start diminishing within hours dependent upon many factors being present. This often progresses in steps as additional cofactors are added.
- Neurological pain can start diminishing, fading over months to years.
- IBS can start changing in weeks if irritating foods are stopped, often dairy or gluten, subject to individual identification.
- Neurological degeneration – subacute combined degeneration may require larger injectable doses to stop it once it has started. Even more frequent larger doses may be needed to reverse it.
- Autoimmune problems do not appear to reverse. They appear to remain generally unchanged once started.
- Neuropsychiatric changes can heal over months to years with sufficient doses, may occur in several dose and/or cofactor dependent stages. This does not mean that “the old you” from “before” is going to come back. If you have gone through personality and mood changes on the way down you will change again on the way back. Flattened affect may become a new “normal” though not the same as “before”. Personality will be more “normal” but not the same as “before”. The brain relearns as it rebuilds. Mood can become very volatile during these changes. Anger and sadness often become prominent at first as a person begins to see how badly damaged they have been and how their life has been damaged and is in shambles. Coming to grips with this seems to be part of the healing process. It wasn’t easy for me or anybody I know who has gone through it. Those around us have seen it all along. We get to see it as we come out of it. It may have taken 20-30 years of deterioration and been relatively invisible. Coming out is much more rapid and hence quite visible.
- Memory and cognitive changes can be reversed in days to years. This does not mean that memory of the impaired period is regained. I have 20 years lost in the fog. Just call me Rip Van Winkle. It means that when you make a lunch date for next week you can remember to show up.
- Most symptoms attributable to CFS/FMS/ME/CFIDS can be gone within a year of all necessary factors being present.
- Severe neurological symptoms take longer.
- Comorbidity is uncovered. A person may have any number of other unrelated conditions that has overlapping symptoms and so is invisible until these have been removed. When 150 symptoms go away and 25 remain what the 25 relate to may become much more obvious. I know one person who uncovered cerebellular paraneoplastic syndrome just as an example.
- People have been able to come out of wheelchairs in weeks to months where the cause has been subacute combined degeneration which is often not diagnosed or mis diagnosed.
- Some processes that had been on “hold” may start up. For example my male pattern baldness stopped progressing for 20 years and has started up again. Conceivably it could be some other disease processes as well.
- Dropfoot and toe dragging can disappear in days to months.
- Numbness of feet and legs can diminish in days to months. Normal feeling may never return but functionality with enough feeling and motor control for normal functioning and reduced falls can return in months including motor control and location sense of individual toes. Regenerating nerves can be painful.
Yesterday, I took a day off with no methylation supplements. Today, after reading Freddd’s protocol for people with big reactions, I started again with 400 mcg folate, 250 mcg B12 (MeCbl), and 3 mg of AdoCbl. Minutes after the AdoCbl was dissolved under my tongue I was feeling a surge in energy bordering on giddiness but also bordering on distracting lightheadedness. I wouldn’t say it was unpleasant but I did have trouble concentrating. Eight hours later, it has mostly faded and I’m feeling relieved and optimistic.
Will probably do something similar tomorrow with smaller quantities – possibly divide everything in half and take in the morning and afternoon.